Saturday, August 14

It's my party...






I asked Blake tonight, are 4 year olds fragile or is our boy just fragile? He said a little of both but Wilder is just tenderhearted. I'm trying not to feel like the worst mom in the world because Wilder cried three times at his party! I was reassured that it's bound to happen and that it's a sign of a successful party. I planned some balloon games to play. I didn't think about how loud balloons are when they're popped. The first game all the kids had balloons tied around their ankles and the goal was to chase each other and pop somebody else's balloon without yours being popped. This was a hit until Wilder's balloon got popped and it broke his little heart. Then we played a game where the kids had to pop the balloons with their bottoms to get the candy out. The popping scared the bageebies out of Wilder. Funny how the babies didn't seem to care. Anyway, I felt bad. I just wanted him to have so much fun. Tonight at home I was telling Wilder I was sorry he was upset during the games. He told me to never play those games again, and to play games he liked like tag, and hide and seek. Duh, mom. Sigh.

The third time he cried was during the cutting of the cake. He did not want me to cut through his name. We barely had enough cake for everyone so I started to cut into it anyway. He went hysterical! So I managed to keep it. I guess he can eat it Monday on his actual birthday. I thought is was cute how he covered his ears when we sang to him. I think he was a little embarassed by all the attention.

Overall, think Wilder had a good day. He was so cute helping me get ready for the party. He helped with the cake and filled the treat bags. He was so thoughtful to put treats that he knew each person would like specifically.

Oh my sweet 4 year old. You are: smart, silly, thoughtful, specific, tender, creative, energetic, loving, stubborn, impatient...mine.

I love you Wilder Blake.

3 comments:

Tasha said...

I love him too. I'm sorry he got upset, but I'm kind of glad to know that Miles isn't the only one. He doesn't like attention on him, either, or surprises. Seriously, when we surprise him with something, we have to be absolutely casual about it, or it's all freakout-city. I thought there had to be something crucially wrong with Miles, for not enjoying his birthday, but then I remembered how much I dislike attention being on myself, how much stress I feel having a house full of people, and how I'd much rather throw/attend a party for someone else than have one thrown for me...I came to the conclusion that he's just like me.

I'm glad you saved his name...seems like that was very important. I hope that you weren't overwhelmed. I wish we had been there. Remember, sensitive boys become sensitive men...and there's nothing wrong with that. Can't wait to hear all about it and to have our own little celebration. I promise, to Wilder, that there will be NO balloon games, when Miles comes over! I cracked up laughing when I read the part about the games he likes. So funny. Just goes to show, we really do over-think things most of the time, don't we?

Thanks for posting...sorry about the allovertheplace comment!
Love,
T.

The White Family Circus said...

I can't our little man is 4! I think I may be having a harder time with this than you guys! I can still remember that fateful Christmas in Ada when we found out he was coming. What a joy! Thank you so much for letting Luke and I be a part of their lives. It means the world to us.

Anonymous said...

He is such a sweet boy! It was fun watching him open his presents. He enjoyed that! :)
Grandma