Tuesday, August 28

I've wanted to post this for a while. I have a problem. You may think all this sounds futile and silly, that this could cause me this much anxiety, but the reality is, lately it does. What is this problem you ask? Basically I've become an enthusiast for all things natural. Food, cleaning products, health and beauty, healthcare, mothering,...you name it. Why do I say this is a problem? This is a problem for me because it can get to the point sometimes that I wear myself out thinking about these things, I worry. Let me explain.

It all started at Wilder's birth. I think it's common for women to start thinking about these things when they have children. I think I have always been hardwired this way but now it just seems to just be surfacing. As I mentioned before I had a bad experience in the hospital with his birth and my doctor that somehow indirectly pushed me to learn to question mainstream healthcare in general as the patient and to always think about all your options. First thing-antibiotics. Most doctors prescribe them instantly to cure whatever symptoms or infection. On the other hand, a holistic, natural approach is to treat beginning signs of infection naturally with whatever it may be (when I say naturally it could mean homeopathic medicine, herbs, diet, supplements, etc.). I had done some reading - usually what causes me trouble. too much reading, about antibiotics and why some people don't like them because they destroy good antibodies along with the bad which can weaken the immune system. Of course reading this I did not want to give Wilder any. But alas his first ear infection came and the doctor prescribed amoxicillin. The whole thing felt insensitive and wrong to me even though she was doing what she knew to do. I fretted but I gave it to him anyway because I knew he needed it. Mainly because it was too late to treat anything naturally - and what did I really know about treating something on my own naturally - I'm not a doctor. It's scary to go into a natural health store and look at all the products...actually it's overwhelming because it all looks so good but where do you start? For example, one natural health care professional I talked to recommended giving Wilder some probiotics after his rounds of antibiotics to replenish his system. Why didn't my pediatrician tell me that? This is the most frustrating thing - There are two extreme opposite opinions about everything and I'm usually somewhere in the middle trying to figure out what's best or necessary. I've learned the difference between natural healthcare and conventional. One treats symptoms and one is more focused on treating the body as a whole and preventing problems. Ok, so that's the first category - Medicine. I still give Wilder Tylenol when I need to and am reluctantly giving him his Rynatan the doctor prescribed for his allergies/runny nose.

Second category-food. I would like to feed Wilder everything organic, but let's face it, who can afford it? I do as much as I can but not all things. I read that the pesticides, hormones, etc in non-organic food are bad for babies and small children because their bodies are smaller and developing so rapidly. I went through a small period where I decided I would make all of Wilder's food- puree it, freeze it. Yikes, who has time to do that? Like I said, I do what I can but don't obsess over this one. The hard thing about this one is that I'm not the only one that feeds Wilder. You can imagine what kinds of problems this brings up.

This one is funny and is an example of how you should NOT believe everything you read on the internet. I had read that in Great Britain or somewhere over there a study had been done connecting SIDS to mattress toxicity.
Basically chemicals in the materials in mattresses combined with moisture from a baby form a hazardous gas that the baby inhales. I was prepared to go get the special plastic recommended and cover Wilder's mattress. Also mentioned was the occurrence of SIDS happening after immunizations because of fevers and sweating. Of course, Wilder had some shots the day I had read this so of course I could hardly get to sleep that night. Luckily, after talking to my rational husband he convinced me again, not to believe everything on the internet and that Wilder would be fine, so this one I got over.

So this leads me to immunizations - oh my goodness. This is such a controversial subject that trying to dig and find an answer is very hard and overwhelming. Some think immunizations are bad. For several reasons, mercury contained in the shots, possible reactions and side effects. And why are kids still getting shots for diseases that aren't even found in this country anymore? Are immunizations (and the drug industry for that matter) just a way to make more money? I went through a stressful time deciding whether or not go get Wilder his immunizations. He's had them all to this day. I'm still not 100% sure I'm doing the right thing when he gets them. I always ask the doctor what he's getting and why and that helps a little. Eeek.

I've recently spent the little extra money on natural bath soap for Wilder. They carry "California Baby" at Target now and I'm thrilled about that. To sum this one up, I read in a magazine (more reputable than the internet) that the FDA isn't required to standardize what goes into health and beauty products like they do food. So pretty much anything goes. A lot of the chemicals and ingredients used in health and beauty products in the US are banned in places like Europe. There is a cool site (cosmetic database) that tells you exactly what is in specific products and gives each product a risk rating based on the ingredients and the possibility that they can cause cancer, reactions, and whatever else. This is what I'm up against people!!

I worry about cancer and behavioral things like autism, ect. I think it's an obvious fact that cancer is more prevalent today than 50 years ago. Blake says it's because there are more people in the world, maybe he's right. But what if it's because of increased exposure to hazardous chemicals and just how dirty the world is getting?

Sigh. Cleaning products, yes. I try to clean as much as I can with vinegar and baking soda now. I told Blake I need a t-shirt that says I heart baking soda (obviously making fun of myself). I was so excited the other night in the shower I cleaned my shower, washed my hair and face with it (interesting) and it was good for the drain too. What an amazing product! I can't stand the idea of Wilder crawling on the floor after we use the swifter and the solution that comes with it. Antifreeze-like products can't be good. This leads me to probably one of my biggest pet peeves - everything that is good for you or the environment is expensive!!! Seriously, I understand why but if we're really serious about our well being and the condition of the environment why are these products so inaccessible? I did spend extra money to try the earth friendly dish detergent and clothes detergent from Wild Oats one time and the truth is they just don't work as well. People want their clothes and dishes clean, so what can you do? Blah Blah.

I'm sure you get the point by now. The list can go on, there is potential danger in almost everything right. I need to wrap this up because I hear a baby stirrin. Please excuse the messy grammar, I was in a hurry!

So where does my faith come in? Where does God fall into all of this? I have to trust Him. I admit I don’t as much as I should. I let fear take over and I know fear is not from God. At times I find peace knowing He is ultimately in control – has control over our bodies and everything else, but sometimes it's not enough. I need prayers to accept grace. I know that the world is not perfect and we cannot shield ourselves from every potentially scary or hazardous thing. The line I’m constantly trying to find is trusting my instinct AND trusting God. I need prayers for wisdom. Especially with a new baby coming. I want peace.

Now I am thinking in these terms for this pregnancy and new baby. One thing specifically, I really want to be able to breastfeed this baby. I had mastitis (breast infection) twice with Wilder and basically gave up after a couple of months. I have asked my doctor what I can do to prevent this from happening again and he says “keep the breast clean an empty”. I need more than that! I’ve read that some women are just more prone to getting them and have read about some preventative measures that I’m working on getting more information and finding some local support groups. I think most importantly I just need prayers that everything will work this time! I also have some stress about hospital procedures and am thinking about declining the hep B shot they give newborns in the hospital until later. Of course, this causes quite a stink because that's just how things are done in hospitals.

So please give my your comments and opinions on these issues. I’m curious what other people think about them. I don't want to get caught up in any sensationalism and want to be wise in our decisions. What concerns you? How do you cope?

5 comments:

Walt & Saundra said...

Shelly!! I read your blog and told Walt I have got to call you! I'm exactly the same way! My "problem" really started when we were going through all the infertility stuff, and I really started wondering "WHY?" The more I read, the more I freaked myself out...

There are a couple of books I'd love to share with you, one is "The 7 pillars of Health" and it's written by a Christian doctor, and I love it!

The second is "The Whole Pregnancy Handbook" which is written by an MD, OB/GYN who is also into the natural pregnancy alternative. I liked this book because it gives both sides...like using acupuncture for pain control during delivery instead of an epidural. Really interesting stuff!

http://www.osumex.com/probiotic.php

This is about probiotics during pregnancy. My doctor actually took me OFF of my probiotics (his nurse didn't even know what a probiotic was) because they hadn't been fully tested on pregnant women. I stopped taking it, but I'm thinking I'll start again...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17815402/wid/11915773/

This is an article about the effects of beef / chemicals in beef on babies...scary.

http://www.healthycar.org/carseat.searchtype.php?gettype=Infant

Above is a link to a study they did on Carseats and the chemicals they release. It bummed me out, since the one I wanted is the worst rated (Combi carseat.) Now I really don't know what to buy!

So, I feel your pain. And I'm already stressing over the antibiotics and immunizations. One thing I do know is that I'm not letting them give my baby the hepatitis shot (the one they give them at the hospital within a few hours of birth.) Apparently a lot of babies die within 24 hours of getting this shot, and it is required in Oklahoma! The way you can get around it is by telling them you'll have your doctor do it at the first checkup, once they are a little stronger.

To look for a pediatrician that would be more preventative oriented, my friend gave me web page:

https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?.intl=us&.src=ygrp&.done=http%3a//groups.yahoo.com%2Fgroup%2FEducatingForLife%2Fmessage%2F6258

Sorry this is a book long! I'd love the website for the skincare ingredients list!

And you're right..."Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight!"

Amy said...

You make my heart ache knowing that you worry about all these things. When I first found out I was pregnant I was paranoid about everthing I came in contact with, food, lotions, cleaning products, etc. Not because of the effect it would have on me, but my baby. I have slowy let go of some of the anxieties, I figure the stress will shorten my life and the last thing I would want to do is leave my children motherless.
Here is my opinion on just a few things. Antibiotics are way overused and used incorrectly. Your body can build up a tolerance and when you really need them, they are not as effective. I do however think they are good. The results of not treating an infection can be devastating, ecspecially on a child. I am in nutrition this semester and am excited about learning more about what exactly goes into our food. You are right though organic food is very expensive, but it is more expensive to make.
I totally believe in immunizations, I am sure my opinion is skewed since I do work in the medical field and am going into nursing. If I could prevent my child from getting any serious illness I would. It is ironic how how modern medicine works. We give cancer patient carcinogens to treat cancer, but it works.
Ultimately, you are right, God is the one in control.

So, my advice: Ignorance is bliss, stop reading so much. : )

Jenny said...

Doesn't motherhood open up a whole new side of looking at things? I can remember worrying about all the things you mentioned at one time or another in the past 5 years. If I was to continue reading all that I was I would have to live in a bubble with my children and never set foot in this world again. Chemicals are everywhere and it can be very scary!

I'm with Amy on the antibiotics and the overuse of them all. I am slow to call the doctor when my boys have a sniffle or in Wyatt's case, bad skin breakouts. 9 out of 10 times they have gotten over the bug on their own even though it did take longer and my days weren't as pleasant. I took comfort in knowing their bodies where fighting infections themselves and were getting stronger in the process. Not that I am against giving medicine, I just want to make sure it is a last resort.

Food is another hot button with me. I tried the whole food approach and as you mentioned it is VERY time consuming and expensive. Another thing was that my boys are their own and they choose what they would and would not eat, no matter how much I tried. I stick with not buying processed foods and serving my boys fresh fruits & veggies at each meal. Unfortunatly that is what is usually left. "Just give them what you want them to eat and they will just eat it or go hungry " was a common arguement I heard and all I can say is good luck with your own kids! I'm with you in why is all the 'good for you food' so darn expensive.

With all the cancer among us I think is a result of the chemicals and we need to be smart into what we put in/on our bodies. During the beginning of time each era had their own battles with disease and I feel this is ours. I don't feel we can completely prevent where life will lead us and I am not willing to live life in the middle of nowhere and give up daily conviences. Life is to short to give in to all the worries that are out there.

Pick a few to battle that you feel strongest about and let the others be. That is where my faith in God comes from. You cannot control everything that is around you, you will eventually lose you mind;)

On the breastfeeding front try finding a Le Leche club in your area. They have a wonderful support sysytem and could set you on the path to prepare yourself for this new baby and the new adventures of breastfeeding. Each baby/breastfeeding experience is different and hopefully the trouble with your infections won't be an issue this go around.

Good luck Shelly and know that you are not allow in the all the worries you going through. It will all be okay! I promise!!

Unknown said...

I have one word for you -- Arbonne. I know skincare is only one facet of your concerns and I won't pretend to be an expert on any of the other aspects of natural health. I went to the California Baby website to compare prices. I have nothing negative to say about CB, it sounds very natural. But I have become somewhat of an expert on the Arbonne line. Prices--with the consultant discount (Jenny, Janet or I could give you these prices) Arbonne's Baby hair & body wash is $9.10 for 8 oz. vs. CB $9.95 for 8.5 oz. Arb. Baby Lotion 9.10 for 8.3 oz. vs. CB $10.00 for 6.5 oz. Arb. Diaper Cream $9.10 for 5 oz. vs. CB $10.00 for 2.9 oz. All of these products are safe enough to EAT! Of course you're aware that all the products (men, women, teens, babies) are all botanically based with no chemical dyes or fragrances. Although I am not actively working on the business side of Arbonne, I am still convinced it is the best product out there. Pure, safe, beneficial. We're not supposed to "advertise" on the internet, so I hope this comment on your blog won't get me in trouble. ;)

Anonymous said...

I went to a support group (Le Leche) when Jonathan was born and it was a life saver. I had a breast infection when he was 10 days old and they walked me through it step by step and I didn't have any more. zi also had one with Amy and she was about the same age. I did the same things and was over it in a few days. They are sure painful! The doctors and nurses were not much help for me when it came to breast feeding. I am not sure who in our family has caused us to obsess about naturally foods, etc. I still try to eat whole foods. When Jennifer was born I got a book called "Feed Me" that gave me natural foods to fix. She really enjoyed them and they weren't difficult to fix. I now buy different grains then mill them into flour and bake my own bread. (the mill wasn't very expensive)The beef your dad and me got at Christmas from Papa and Grandma did not have antibiotics or steriods in it. I would like to get some more. Our little girls are matureing physically way too early because of the steriods in the meats.