Wednesday, August 15



You are no longer a little baby you are definitely a little boy...all that is boy. You don't get excited about giving me kisses, you hate having your face wiped, you aren't too crazy about snuggling, and you LOVE to be outside, not to mention you never stop moving. When I think about August 16th one year ago I have bitter sweet memories because of all the dificulties that came with your arrival. None of it matters now because the blessing you are overshadows any painful memories. Although, I do believe everything happens for a reason and difficult times do make us stronger. The experience I had with your birth has caused me to hopefully be a better mother. I learned not to take everything for granted and to question what and how is really the best way to take care of you and to trust my instincts as a mother.

We are amazed by you every day. Still amazed that you are ours and God created such a beautiful little boy. You are curious, determined, forgiving, silly, strong, sweet, fearless, and at times incredibly frustrating. It brings me such joy and satisfaction to take care of you. I want what's best for you in all things, I try my best to provide it for you whatever it is (almost to the point of driving my self crazy worring about the little things). I've had to realize that I can't protect you from everything in this world but I can take comfort in the fact that your Heavenly Father loves you more than I do and provides plenty of grace where I or the world falls short.

You have changed me, tested me. I never new I could be so tired, I've found patience I didn't know I had, I've also regretted not being patient enough with you at times. You are constantly finding ways to steal my heart and make me fall even more in love with you. Ooh how I love that little pointer finger of yours. Constantly pointing at new things and saying your word for everything "Dah". I look forward to watching you grow and to see the individual you continue to become.

You are my precious ONE sweet Wilder. Happy first birthday.
Love mom

6 comments:

Emily said...

what a beautiful letter Shelly belly! I can't believe your next baby is almost here! :)

Anonymous said...

He is so precious! Happy Birthday, sweet little boy. We love you!
Papa and Grandma

Unknown said...

A precious tribute to motherhood and to Wilder. And what a sweet picture! You are a wonderful mother.

Walt & Saundra said...

I love this sweet letter! I hope you put it in his baby book too...his wife will treasure it one day! (And so will Wilder, of course. :)

I don't have a baby shower planned yet, but my sister has mentioned hosting one. Are you doing one in OKC?

As for cloth diapers, I'm going to give them an attempt too...why are you switching?

Anonymous said...

You are not only an artist but a writer! The letter is so sweet. You and Jenny need to get together and write children's books or a book like Erma Bombeck. You are both good writers. I haven't checked the blogs in 3 weeks. I can't believe Wilder is looking so much like a little boy instead of a baby. They grow up way too fast. Greatma (oops, mom doesn't want to be called that!) brought Wilder to my work last week and he was so bashful it reminded me of Dennis. He wanted you to do everything for him instead of me when he was that age and I watched you all. I finally got a smile out of Wilder right before they left. I wanted to hug him so much but I'm still too much of a stranger. Can't wait for your little girl.

Anonymous said...

I remember a year ago when you were in the hospital and things were scary for you and Blake. It's just like they say, "time heals everything" I believe it's true. I'm looking forward to seeing Wilder with his first birthday cake, get the camera ready!