Wednesday, February 13

I've been tagged by Jessica! I don't know how to link either so here's her blog: http://www.247mom-jessica.blogspot.com/
Thanks for making me sit down to blog Jessica, this was nice. Ok, I think I'll list my "top 5 places on my "want to see or want to see again" list. I know I said I wanted to start blogging about some of my favorite things, what a good way to get started! These aren't in any particular order.

1. The villiages in Honduras and Guatemala I visited during mission trips two college summers for a month at a time (traveled to in a converted school bus). These were life changing trips and the memories I have are very vivid. These places and things...the ocean, the streets, the orphanages, the children's faces, my team, the rainforest, the border, the cold, the hot, the churches, the food, the singing, the dump, the canoes, the praying...I cherish it all.

2. St. Francis and St. John Hospital the day both my babies were born.


3. Nice, France. (pictured) This time I want to go to the Henri Matisse museum. It was there I discovered my love for this artist. Matisse lived in Nice.

4. Generically the ocean. It's crazy how much I love it. How about Pompano Beach where Blake and I spent our honeymoon, or for a "want to see", how about Hawaii for a Jack Johnson concert, mmm dreamy.



5. And in the spirit of Valentines Day, the farmhouse on our wedding day. The sunset, the lights, the colors, my dress, the rain, the trees, my friends and family, the look on Blake's face.

6. I'm breaking the rules and adding one that I just thought of. Dinosaur Point, Grand Lake. (dinosaur point is a cove). This is my very favorite childhood memory. My grandmother Bernice and late grandpa Loyd used to own a trailor at Grand lake. My family went to the lake often growing up. If I could relive one day there it would be something like this...to be woken up early to go waterskiing before everyone else gets up by my grandpa or mom. from there I would make it to the porch to grab my still-wet-from-the-day-before swimsuit from the clothes line, put on my cold bathing suit and start my walk down the hill to the doc. i would be too lazy to put shoes on so I would take a dreadfully long time getting to the doc because i'd have to tip toe down the boat ramp to avoid stepping on rocks. I'd finally be in the boat - me, my mom, and my grandpa. the sun is just coming up and the water is perfectly still and quiet, there's drops of dew on all the seats in the boat. we make it past the dinasaur (it's not called dino. point for nothing) and on past the buoy's to the main part of the lake. my mom and i fuss to see who's going to go first - it's early and the water is cold. that first jump in the water is painful but once you're out of the water and on your skii's it's all worth it. the water is smooth and you have the whole lake to yourself. finally, after skiing my hardest i let go because i just can't hold on anymore and sail smoothly into what is now warm bathlike water. i watch my mom ski, and think maybe someday i'll be able to ski like her. my grandpa drives the boat, he doesn't say much but you know there's no place he'd rather be. we head back to the doc, make our way up the hill, tired. back at the trailor we're greeted by the smell of breakfast. grandma is cooking sausage. of course food always tastes better at the lake especially after being in the water. we have a big breakfast complete with sliced cantaloupe... i think that's a good memory to go to sleep on tonight friends!

I tag Saundra, http://waltandsaundra.blogspot.com/...everyone else I would tag to has already been tagged. I need more blog friends!

The Rules: Link to the person that tagged you and post the rules on your blog. Share 5 random and/or weird facts about yourself on your blog. or Share the 5 top places on your “want to see or want to see again” list. or Share 5 things you never pictured being in your future when your were 25 years old. Tag a minimum of 5, maximum of 10 random people at the end of your post and include links to their blogs. Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog. The tagees have a choice of which they want to do.

4 comments:

jessica said...

What a beautiful story! It reminds me of my family's fun trips to the lake.

My brother and sister-in-law will be living in Honduras for two years starting this summer. I'm sure they would love to have you stay with them any time you could get down there.

Anonymous said...

I liked your memory of water skiing in the early morning with Loyd. I can remember the first time I took the boat out by myself after he was gone. Cried like a baby..

Mom

Unknown said...

Shelly, that was beautiful. You've inspired me to blog about some of my favorite memories.

Anonymous said...

Shelly thanks for being so kind to remember our times at the Lake. Loyd would have been so proud to know hou much you appreciated what he do for us.Brings back a lot of good family memories.
Love you Grandmother