Thursday, December 18

Can't really think of a title

Wilder was awake from 2am to 5:30am last night coughing. Miserable. Finally after giving him the cough syrup that didn't seem to relieve him quick enough he and Blake made it to the couch for the 100th viewing of Fox and the Hound. Sitting up was the only way to get him to stop coughing. I can't believe he stayed awake for the entire movie. Probably because the cough syrup had a decongestant in it which I've learned is a stimulant. He slept for about 45 minutes this morning before he was awake again coughing. Poor baby. He's had this cold for about two weeks now and is going to the doctor TODAY. I kick myself for hesitating, maybe I could have spared us a few sleepless nights if we had taken him earlier. Last time we took him for a cough the doctor pretty much said it had to run its course and all we could do for him was give him cough syrup. That is generally the way I like to go about things since I am not a big antibiotics fan. Today I am desperate for antibiotics or something that will fix it, now. We've been giving him Benedryl, cough syrup and pain reliever for days it seems, can't be good to be on this stuff for this long. All those warnings on the cough syrup, scary.

One of the worst feelings as a mother is helplessness. If only I could make him stop coughing. All I could do last night is pray repeatedly that God would relieve him so that we all could get needed rest. Well He didn't for whatever reason.

About a week ago I went to Dr. Sears website (askdrsears.com) to figure out which cough syrup to give him and educate myself about all of the many options and came across a link to a medicine called Sinupret. It is a natural, plant based medicine that is supposed to be very safe and effective for sinus support. Very popular in Europe, gaining popularity in the U.S. I am definitely interested in talking to the doc about it and getting some for the next time colds come around. Read about it: www.binoricausa.com. There is also some good info about why alternative medicine is not really trusted by the public so much anymore.

Of course, I am frustrated that this kind of medicine is not readily available to moms. Wouldn't it have been nice to have known about it sooner? I think you have to buy it online. It's like most things alternative or naturally based (meaning you can't find them at Wal-Mart or Walgreens) you have to seek them out. Another example, why don't doctors tell you or recommend probiotics, just antibioitcs?

This stirs me to make a point about awareness. I want to encourage moms to make educated decisions. About birth, health, everything. Seriously, an alterntive approach or not, please just know what your options are! I know that we learn things through experience, that's just how life is. I have learned a lot of things the very hard way particularly through Wilder and I's birth experience. I learned that the practice of birth is treated as a fast-paced, commercialized industry in the US and lots of moms suffer the consequences like unwanted in C-Sections. Sorry if that seems a little harsh. My experience is probably why I am so cautious, paranoid, and distrusting of mainstream healthcare. I went about my pregnancy with Gwyneth so differently and had such a more positive experience. I wish I had a positive memory of Wilder's birth so badly...However, I know it made me a stronger and wiser mom so maybe that was God's plan. Yes, I have had to deal with my paranoia and let trust in God overcome my fear. I'm still working on it and probably always will as a mom.

Anyway...

Sorry about the tangent. I think if we took the time to do a little more research on our own maybe we could save ourselves at least a small percentage of heartache or regret.

I hope some of this made sense and you are able to read between the lines and make connections I'm not able to articulate. I feel better. I'm headed back to the coffee pot!

Update: Just learned that Wilder has a respiratory infection. So yes, thankful for antibiotics today.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Sorry about the rough night(s), hopefully Wilder is on the road to recovery.

I'm not big on medication and try to leave it as a last resort for myself and the boys. The body is made to fight off infection to a certain point and seems to work for us. BUT! when medication calls and coughing is a #1 deterrent from sleeping I love the cough medicine Delsym. It works magically and has for us for the last three years. You like to research and that is fine for you, but I don't like "knowing everything" it stresses me out more than makes me feel at peace. So you can read some of the horror stories as I am sure there are some for the Delsym medicines;)

Another thing I use is Vick's vapor rub on the feet. Right before bed I lather the boy's feet with the stuff and cover with a sock. It is a life savor for the middle of the night coughing and congestion.

I have lots of things to add about hospital births and so forth, but will keep my comments to myself:) To each their own.

See you at Christmas!

Shelly Collins said...

I know Jenny, sometimes not knowing is better and I wish I was more that way sometimes...I'm getting better!

I tried the vicks rub on the feet, maybe it helped a little.

Can't wait to see you and the crew :)

Jenny said...

Offended me? No worries, you would know if I felt that way:) My comment was already long and I know how our opinions differ drastically in the birthing department, so I just left it at that.

I tagged you so check out my blog again;)!

hwall said...

I love this post! I couldn't agree more. Hope Wild Man gets to feeling better soon!

(Of course you guys are getting a card. Whether you really want one or not.)