Thursday, March 5

That's my boy!

Thought I would share a story that made my heart swell with pride. I took Wilder to the doctor this week for a follow up visit for his recent ear infection. He loves the toys in the doctors office. There are lot of oversized cars and trucks that he enjoys. He had them all pulled out and organized when it became time to go. He had barely enough time to play with them. I knew he was going to fight me on getting out of there so I said, "we can stop and get a new toy on the way home" thinking he might find a new truck for the house. It worked and I can't believe I said it. 1. Because I don't want to make a habit of rewarding good behavior with material things. 2. Because we're being very intentional about not spending unnecessary money right now. I justified it because 1. I have not made this a habit and don't plan to and 2. I thought $2 at the dollar store is doable. Plus, a mom just needs to treat her kiddos every once in a while right!

On the ride home he made it very obvious he was not going to forget. We stopped to get gas at a gas station near our house and he said "no mommy, Wilder get new toy now" (great sentence structure right?). So off we went to the Dollar General. I was preparing myself for a long drawn out visit where he wouldn't be able to pick out the toy he wanted or me continually having to tell him we couldn't get that one because we didn't have enough money. Once we made it to the toy isle there was a little bit of everything including cars, books, and some art supplies. I let him look. I had decided I wouldn't influence him in any way and let him pick whatever he wanted. I pointed out a few things, one being a pack of markers. He grabbed them instantly and said "ok, Wilder go home now," Really? That's it, just like that? You don't want another plastic car? or that weird silly puddy stuff? You want art supplies? I didn't argue and we were out of there in a flash. Gwyn got a shiny pinwheel by the way that she loved in the store and hasn't picked up since. So $2.50 spent and everyone was happy, not a bad deal.

He played with the markers for a while when we got home on some large sheets of paper I gave him. You know I don't care if he grows into a little artist or not although I would be thrilled. It's fun to see him enjoying and growing in his creativity. I just hope whatever his interests are as they grow he will hold onto that creative spirit. Ooh, a quote comes to mind that my friend Tasha recently posted:

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up."
-Pablo Picasso

3 comments:

Eyren said...

Hi Shelly!
I like it when my kids go for the art supplies too! They are both creative in different ways--Isaac is more detailed and serious about his art and Savannah is more of a free spirit where anything goes. It's fun to see their personalities come out in their creativeness. I'm interested to know how Wilder and Gwyn are...

love you Eyren

jessica said...

He's getting so big Shelly! Isn't it fun when a trip to the store goes smoothly rather than disasterous like you had imagined. Sounds like a successful day.

Tasha said...

What a great story. It's nice to have that mommy time. It's also nice to occasionally treat them to something of their choosing. (Although even nicer when their choice = your choice...lol).

Have a great weekend...we're taking it slow. Call me if Blake decides he needs a partner in crime for the Nerd Movie (oops, I mean Watchmen).

T.