Thursday, May 7

Started a new book today

I love when I come across a good book on my own, which is hard to do. I found my beloved Barbara Kingsolver before Blake and I got on a plane for our honeymoon. We stopped in a book store to get books for our trip. I didn't intend to get anything really but found Kingsolver next to the Steven King books and thought The Bean Trees looked interesting. I've tried picking books at random since and have failed miserbly.

Anyway, I came across a compelling article this author wrote about her difficulty with prayer. When I looked her up she just happened to have one book in the library system - in Sand Springs! The book is Confessions of an Amateur Believer by Patty Kirk. I'm on page 22, very interesting so far. It's an autobiography of her journey from catholicism as a girl, to atheism, to evangelical Christianity. She is authentic, real, humorous, and a very creative writer.

I've been avoiding Twilight as I'm aware of it's ability to consume. Sigh. Someone help me get some good fiction in between all these serious books I'm reading lately!

6 comments:

Tasha said...

Firefly Lane!

Jessica said...

This, my dear, I can help you with! One of my favorite things is my book club - girls nights out with girls in my same life stage with good food and great books I would never have chosen on my own!

We've read so many good books, but I'll throw out a few of my favorites:
-Memoirs of a Geisha (the group's all-time favorite)
-Life of Pi (A-ma-zing...stay with it, the first few chapters are hard but it will knock your socks off!)
-The Thirteenth Tale (very mysterious)
-ANYTHING by Jodi Picoult...her books are so easy to read, they go fast, and always have a twist ending. First on your list should be "My Sister's Keeper". She's my favorite.
-The Secret Life of Bees

Enjoy!

Shelly Collins said...

Yes Tasha, I do want to read Firefly Lane!

Dayna said...

Ooh, I so don't know where to start on book recommendations; I do agree with Jessica on Memoirs, Life of Pi, and Secret Life of Bees. Sundays at Tiffany's is good, and if you'd like to get into the story behind Wicked, theirs several books written by the same author, taking different points of view from some famous fiction (Gregory Maguire). Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister (Cinderella), Wicked, A Lion Among Men, and Son of a Witch (Wizard of OZ), and Mirror Mirror (Snow White).

My mindless indulgence now is the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella. I'm not sure if it's the humor or the setting (London) that I love most. It's so fitting with our economy the way it is right now.

Shelly Collins said...

I loved Life of Pi!

The Cash Clan said...

Have you read Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible yet? That is one of my all-time favorites. Okay, and for much lighter fare, I just adore Jennifer Weiner. Her books are both cerebral and hilarious (guilt-free chick lit) and I eat them up like candy!