Sunday, June 13

How to prevent a sleepless night hangover...

...on a day when you're by yourself with two toddlers and a newborn.
Preface. Adalyn is a good baby. She's pretty easy going, however, as most babies do, she has a fussy time. Hers happens to be from about 2-5am. It's a dark, ugly time of night for me. There have been a few nights I've felt miserable having no idea how I'll face the day, then after a couple hours of sleep between 4 and 6 a little part of me wakes up thinking "Ok, I can do this. I can get up and have a good attitude." Some mornings are easier than others. For those particularly difficult mornings here are a few sobering tips that helped me get over the hump and not be grumpy.

1. Make homemade blueberry pancakes for the very first time since your baby was born. (they're pretty regular at our house) Granted you will have to have enough patience for your 3 year old to help and probably have to wear the baby in your sling at some point. Once made, eat as many as you possibly can. Tell yourself it's ok and you need the calories because serving as an open-all-night-all-you-can-eat-milk-buffet is hard work.

2. Get outside. Walk the kids to the playground and get a high dosage of sun and laughter. Warning: the heat may seem a little overwhelming because of the added heat of the two warm milk jugs you're wearing under your shirt - don't let this keep you from having a good time. Maybe I can just sweat off some baby weight. The warm breezes seemed to be a natural sedative for Adalyn, so she was perfectly content in her stroller. I was really able to play and focus on Wilder and Gwyn, which has been difficult since Adalyn's been home. Wilder found this particularly refreshing I think. He said at one point, "we're having a nice day aren't we mommy" I think he was craving the interaction. Sidenote: What would you do if your 3 year old told you he had to poo-poo and couldn't hold it long enough to walk back to the house? Which is more disgusting, having him go in his pants or squat in the grass?

3. Smell and cuddle your baby. I don't think I'll ever get tired of feeling Adalyn's sweet face next to mine. And I mean really smell her. Put your nose right behind her ear and breath in deep that earthy, sweet, sour milk sort of smell. Ahhh

4. Bribe your kids with candy to stay in their beds for 30 minutes so you can get a power nap. The only way this one can be foolproof is if you tell your toddler that there is NO MORE CANDY. Otherwise, 10 minutes into your nap as you're dozing off you'll hear "mommy, I gotta ask you something" requesting more candy. Oh well, it was a good attempt!

5. Remember the simple fact that your new baby is a GIFT and you are blessed to be taking care of her. I would much rather be taking care of her in the middle of the night than NOT be taking care of her, right?

4 comments:

Starr said...

Good job mom! Pancakes AND the park....seriously impressive. Working on little sleep is such a challenge. Hang in there!!! I know when you're in the middle of that season of mothering it feels like you'll never, ever feel well rested again.

hwall said...

I love you for posting this. I'll definitely be taking your advice come December. Hope all is well, and I hope to see you soon.

(P.S. I would have let him squat in the grass.) :)

Tasha said...

Love it!

1. Yum...blueberry pancakes! You most certainly deserve as many as your tummy can hold :)

2. Sunshine seems to be nature's remedy for a fussy baby. I totally agree...however, it is disgustingly hot! Especially while toting around those milk jugs! Oh, and if it makes you feel any better, Miles wet his pants in the chair, while painting at Philbrook on Saturday! I would have preferred pooping in the grass.

3. Yes, the baby smell. Nature's cure for a fussy momma. Just the other night, I was inhaling Eleanor, and you're so right on with your description of that smell. Heaven.

4. Ok, that's just funny. You must have been very tired!

5. Absolutely.

Love you, and I hope your nights are getting better.
T.

Anonymous said...

Outside was the best for me, too. I had to have some water to get wet in, though, when it was this hot. As long as you can get wet, the heat isn't so bad. I had a little kiddie pool I would sit in and kids love water.

Aunt Janet