Monday, July 28

Books

I just finished reading Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. A friend gave it to me. It is a Christian fiction about a woman raised in prostitution in the 1850's. It is a retelling of the book of Hosea. I had only read one Christian fiction prior to this one and couldn't finish it was so bad. This one was better. I don't think the writing was excellent in Redeeming Love but a good story. Edifiying and a good escape.

I'm excited to start to read Bringing Up Boys by James Dobson. Thanks Jessica for lending me your copy.

I want to read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. A came across Kingsolver randomly in a bookstore. Blake and I were leaving for our honeymoon and were finding books for the plane. (Kingsolver is right by Stephen King, Blake's favorite). I got lucky because I LOVE HER and have since read a lot of her books including Animal Dreams, The Bean Trees, and The Poisonwood Bible. She writes a lot about family and environmental issues. Check out her site: www.kingsolver.com. Anyway, her new book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is "the story of a year in which we made every attempt to feed ourselves animals and vegetables whose provenance we really knew . . . and of how our family was changed by our first year of deliberately eating food produced from the same place where we worked, went to school, loved our neighbors, drank the water, and breathed the air."

I want to read this book but am afraid of the impact it may have on me. I may never want to shop in a grocery store again! Maybe it will at least inspire me to get a garden going.


2 comments:

Starr said...

The Poisonwood Bible is an incredible book. One of my favs. I tried to read another of her books Prodigal Summer) and wasn't as impressed...maybe I should give her another try!

Anonymous said...

I like Francine Rivers. She gets a little graphic at times but the Bible is a little graphic. There is a series of books she writes which is about a young Jewish girl whose family is Christian. The series starts during the destructon of the temple in 70 AD. I really enjoyed them because they take you back to that time and the struggles they had as Christians.

I like most of Terri Blackstock's books too. She writes modern day stories. One of my favorites is I think called Lights Out or something like that. Something causes the electricity, electronics, and generators not to work and the world is thrown back to the 1800's.

There are several Christian writers I like and it is so nice not having to hear about people jumping in and out of bed with each other and the bad language. (I am getting old!)Reading is my passion so let me know what you are interested in.

Janet
(I could go on and on about books.)