Wednesday, November 5

So Refreshing!


Today I spent a full school day observing a classroom. For those of you that I haven't told there is a postition opening up next year that I am very interested in. The teacher I observed today is retiring and has been teaching for 30 years! Wow. And she is amazing. Well at least from what I could tell today. She had such poise and full control over her classroom. Her students were well behaved and respectful. It was so encouraging to be with someone who truly loves her job, how many people can really say that? And she loves her boss...wouldn't that be amazing? Can't say I've ever had that. Little side note, I had sort of a impromtu interview with the principal today that I hope was OK.

One of my concerns about entering public school (vs. something like Montesorri) is the over standardization of curriculum. All the pressure of test scores these days, geez. I was encouraged today talking to this teacher. She doesn't give tests at all and is very relaxed about how she goes about her curriculum. To find that in a public school today is rare. (She said to keep it a little hush hush because she has figured out how to work the system so she can get by without doing these things) She agreed that art is more about exploration and the experience than technical things. For example, I didn't know what the 7 elements of art were until college, now students learn it in 6th grade!

Anyway, I am really excited about the prospect of teaching. Lately my work is feeling more and more mundane which can get really mind numbing after a while. When I leave work I feel like I've wasted time and feel guilty for not being as productive as I know I can be. I figured out that I really want to feel proud of my work and I don't feel that right now. I want my kids to see that I am proud of my work. I want them to admire and respect what I do. (Not that there is anything wrong with designing ads and laying out a newspaper, there is a whole creative side that has potential to be very fulfilling that my heart is just not in).

Reasons I think being an art teacher will be fulfilling:
1. Junior High students are adorably awkward. They're still young enough that they have some innocence and naivity left. (as the teacher said today, "they're not having sex, or at least let's hope not") Also, what a fragile time for one's self-esteem and self image. Maybe I could help build some confidence here and there that will help them on down the road.
2. I really love art. The act of creating something is so fulfilling to me. I even love the smell of art supplies (we visited Blake's classroom the other night and the smell was intoxicating! Why is a huge box of thousands of crayons so enjoyable to look at? And to touch?
3. The joy of sharing this love with someone else. Today it was fun watching the students get excited when they accomplished something. Little lightbulbs coming on!
4. It will be MY classroom! The possibilities are endless, we can paint, draw, make tiles, work with clay, weave, collage, build, printmake, and the list goes on.
5. To be a rolemodel for someone else. These students today obviously respected and admired their teacher. Mrs. Collins, he, he.
6. Maybe a student will continue pursuing art after my class because they had a good experience.
7. To be on the same schedule as my kids (eventually) = the most time spent with my family as possible! Yay!

Then there's all the not-so-glamorous things like classroom management, discipline, & grades!

I'm trying not to get ahead of myself on this prospect. I've learned my lesson before with things not working out that I was sure were the "right thing." Regardless if I get this job or not I will benefit from the experience I will gain being in the classroom. Plus, if Blake and I both worked across town would our kids go to school with us or at a school closer to home where they could be plugged into their community? (not having to drive across town for sleepovers would be a good thing)

I need patience and clarity, it's going to be a long road leading up to whatever happens for me next year!
Thanks for listening!

7 comments:

hwall said...

I just read a comment you posted on Tasha's site. How could you possibly think you are simple-minded? You are most certainly anything but.

I definitely understand your need to be fulfilled in your work, and I really hope you have that soon. I think you would make an amazing teacher. I love how you describe art, how you describe enjoying it with all of your senses. How lucky would your students be to have a teacher who loves her work that much?

While you are at UTW, you NEED TO DESIGN MORE COVERS AND COVER STORIES. There is a reason I always told Amy and Callie to ask you for help on their cover story layout and why I always suggested covers for you to work on. YOU ARE SO GOOD AT THEM. You've always been really good at the creative aspects of UTW--laying out the big stories and designing the covers. I know sometimes it's challenging to always think of ideas for cover design, but when you do, it's almost always spot on. Do more of it. I think the challenge would benefit you and keep you from getting too bored, and then you have this beautiful piece of art to show your kids and grandkids later.

So do it.

:) Love you.

Tasha said...

I, too, think you would be a great teacher, Shelly! I can totally see you being the teacher who allows for student's independence and who offers encouragement. AND, I can definitely see you as one of those inspiring teachers. When this happens for you, I think you will be the inspiration for many a student finding her passion for art.

Best wishes on your journey, and remember, the journey to finding what you love is sometimes the best part ;)

P.S. (I am a FAN of P.S.ing lately, wow!) I have yet to read your comment, that Holly is referring to, but I'll go ahead and agree that you are definitely NOT simple minded. I love your mind, and I love your perspective on things, and I love the encouragement and understanding you offer your friends. Wow, it seems this comment has suddenly taken a bit of a romantic turn. I'll quit hitting on you now and go check my comments ;) LOL.

Unknown said...

Ditto on being perfect for a teaching position. When Jeff taught, he was fortunate to have an administration that gave him a lot of control over curriculum. And his grading system would have caused other staff to have strokes had they known about it. You should talk to him if you have a chance. Hope you get the job!!!

Dayna said...

Mrs. Alden was one of my all - time favorite teachers because she was that genuine art - loving, free spirited, thought provoking, "aha" moment loving, great art teacher.

Do you remember that horrid looking "sculpture" we made in her class? I ran in to her several year ago and she said still had it.

FYI - I agree with your UTW friend - do more cover art. I've found myself picking up the latest issues to see if it's your art on the cover!

Dayna said...

It was made out of newspaper and cardboard. Kind of looked like it could have been a shooting star, but maybe not . . . lime green, mustard, and rust colored. It was so ugly but she loved it.

The Cash Clan said...

Shelly,

Teaching is the BEST job in the world (besides mommying, of course!). I loved it so much and miss it regularly now that I'm a SAHM. I also really look forward to returning to it someday.

I can tell from your blog that you will be one of those magical teachers that kids will look back on and say, "She's why I'm an artist" or "She's why I'm an art teacher." I wish my own little budding artist could have a teacher as obviously inspired as you!

Tasha said...

Oh, Shelly...I'm reading a great book called 'Little Big Minds', by ? McCarty. I was recommended it by a friend, and I found it in the education section of the bookstore. I think it would be a great book for teachers, especially those who specialize in a more subjective subject area...such as ART! It is about allowing children to philosophize and that children actually have some of the best takes/ideas about abstract concepts, such as love, friendship, loyalty, etc. It may be a good resource for those 'chatty' students...give them something to discuss.

Anyway, not to count your eggs before they hatch (or whatever that is...I'm finding that I'm full of trite sayings, lately) (however, I'm terrible at remembering them, so I usually flub them up somehow), but you'll be there someday, so in ALL of your spare time, maybe you'd like to take a look at it ;)

T.