Thursday, September 7


What a morning.

(This post was written over a period of about two hours, between feedings, diaper changes, holding crying baby, and ahh, a nice walk -or pace- outside on the deck that put Wilder in a peaceful sleep).

First, the advice "sleep when the baby sleeps" is serious. Do it - sleep when you can, even if you don't feel that tired. The last two days I've felt pretty good so I didn't take any naps. So, last night it was almost impossible to get out of bed when Wilder was crying...but, somehow I did it, because it's your baby and he needs you. This morning I wanted so bad for Wilder to sleep a little longer after the sun came up. His schedule has been he's awake when the sun's up, which is good but this morning, Lord have Mercy, plleeaasseee just sleep a little longer. I ended up making him mad trying to swaddle him next to me in the bed when all he really wanted to do was make his cute morning grunt and gurgle noises and gaze at the ceiling or me. so we ended up in a crying (screaming) session. This was a little too much for my foggy brain to the point that i was in tears out of frustration, however an idea I read came to me. out of desperation i put him in his carseat and sat him in the bathroom while i took a shower. a friend told me, with little ones you have to choose either to wash your hair or shave your legs - it's true. the running water calmed him. he's now asleep, so i hurry, throw on clothes (ok, underwear), carry him seat and all to the bedroom and jump back in bed only to the sound of him stirring and waking up. he's fighting it, i can tell he doesn't want to be in the carseat. so i grab him and apologize for being so frustrated and impatient with him this morning. he's crying again and at this point all i want is to make coffee and get something to eat, i'm accepting sleep is for later. so i strap him to me in his jeep carrier and head to the kitchen. what a sight i'm sure, in my underwear wearing the jeep carrier trying to get some precious coffee made (half calf for those of you concerned :). this calmed him down long enough for me to sit down and start this post. (for some reason writing this helps me not lose my mind and finding the humor in the day helps) only the first few sentences did i get written before he was crying again. so we took a break for feeding time. this morning - as I was burping him, he spit up all the way down my back, onto what probably is my last pair of clean underwear, through the sheets and to the matress pad. now i understand why moms say it's impossible to get anything done besides care for your baby in the fourth trimester.

yes, i love and adore this little guy to pieces. Lord, give me the strength, patience, and wisdom I need each day to take care of Wilder. "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want,...He RESTORES (please) my soul." OK, baby is sleeping now, until next time.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Not meaning to upset you, but I had to laugh at the end of this post. It is impossible to share with others what to expect after the arrival of the precious baby. Oh, we love them so but we also need sleep. I'm praying for you. "this to shall pass" was my hourly motto during this time;) Love ya!

Amy said...

Shelly, you are scaring me!! I am a little scared to have children now. As for Jenny's comment--the laughter--I was almost in tears by the end. You and your stories are excellent birth control!

Anonymous said...

I can remember my mom and grandma telling me to enjoy this time because it is so short and you will miss it. At the time I thought they were crazy but as a grandma now, I look back on those times as precious. We must forget how tired we really were. I can't imagine if I had to work and keep up with a little one. Luckily I didn't have to work until Jonathan was almost a year old. Hang in there and just take one hour at a time. (maybe one minute!)

Love,
Aunt Janet

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Shelly, it's all going to get better and better soon.