Monday, June 16

Tonight I had the energy to really clean the kitchen after dinner. I'm honest, this doesn't happen every night much to my regret in the morning. But tonight, I put on gloves and went to town. Wouldn't it be nice if we could bottle energy? Or should I say motivation. Anyone have any ideas on how to go about that? I have a lot to catch up on tonight...since my last post a lot has happened!

1. OLD FASHIONED TENT MEETING. Our church rented a tent and held daily worship services in a public area in Mannford for a week. We managed to make it out Thursday evening. There is just something about worship outside. Actually, we had our Sunday service in the tent so we made it twice. Being outside I was immediately taken back to those hot evenings on mission trips in Central America several years ago. I enjoyed the experience as it was the most connected I've felt in a long time at church.

2. I'm 30. Well it wasn't as scary as I thought. I told Blake all I really wanted for my birthday was an endless amount of sleep. (Must mean I'm getting older huh?) My birthday celebration started on Thursday, I went to lunch with the girls from work and my friends Tasha and Holly. Thank you for the lunch, the sweet cards, and chocolate girls!
Friday I left work early at 3. Blake arranged for mom and dad to watch the babies for the evening. Blake surprised me and took me to a restaurant called The Local Table on Brookside. An upscale restaurant that orders all of it's food locally. So you get a fresher, healthier meal I suppose. He said it would appeal to "my natural side." Actually, that was the hint he gave so I had already figured it out before we got to the restaurant. Our meals were good and we enjoyed the peace and quiet. Afterwards we met Chris and Jenn for coffee and dessert on Cherry Street. Jenn was sweet and brought me a bottle of wine. We had fun. Blake got me a gift certificate to Dwelling Spaces, one of my favorite stores, he tried shopping with both babies and finally gave in to the gc - just as well by me!! I almost forgot the beautiful orange roses and matching card, doesn't he have good taste! I also got some very nice phone calls, cards, and gifts (including an ipod - yes, finally). Thanks everyone!



Of course, I felt the need for reflection, it being a big birthday and all. What have I gained? Resolutions? Birthday wishes? Well of course I have so much to be thankful for so I definitely felt good about that. Change? Well, I'd like to be more like my husband. As Blake says, I overthink and he underthinks! Really, he always accuses me of worrying too much, of stressing over problems that aren't even here yet. He says only 5% of what people worry about is worth worrying about. I'm sure he read that somewhere on his MSN homepage, but probably true. For me to really be able to let go and not overthink I really need to be able to trust God. What a big and easy thing to say, I want to work on making this more of a reality in my everyday life, not just saying it. Easier said than done.

3. Family Reunion. Check out Jenny's blog (Lusty Family) for our group pic and a great commentary! I checked in on papa tonight and he is doing a ton better!


4. Oh Sister. When we took Gwyn to get her picture made two weeks ago she could barely sit up. Now, for the last week she has been sitting tall, crawling, and pulling up. Crazy! She is making some major transitions right now as well with her daddy and I. She likes constant attention and as we all know that is not always possible. Especially with a toddler. Today I was reading on another mom's blog about her feelings after a second baby. She felt sad that she couldn't give the second one the undivided attention she gave the first. This is just an unfortunate, fact of life I suppose! It's a fact but it's really hard. As a mom I want to give equal love and attention to both of my babies. It will get easier the older they get but Lord have mercy in the meantime!


5. Happy Father's Day to all the dad's in my life!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If im in the situation of the owner of this blog. I dont know how to post this kind of topic. he has a nice idea.

Anonymous said...

We should have a great day today.

Amy said...

Being the youngest of five I am sure I didn't get as much undivided attention as the oldest, but where my parents couldn't, my brothers and sisters could. I wouldn't worry about it!

jessica said...

I wouldn't trade the memories and fun I had with my brothers for more attention from my parents ever.

Glad you had such a great b-day.

hwall said...

Thank you for the encouragement! I am a little worried about returning to work on no sleep. I may be fired after the first week for being totally incompetent!

Walt & Saundra said...

This is so sweet! Shelly, you get more beautiful every year! Happy Birthday!! (belatedly...bad x-roommate!! :)

And being baby #2, and the middle child, I think it gives us a good sense of NOT being the center of the universe. Or maybe it just gives us a huge craving to BE the center of the universe once in a while. Either way, Gwyn is a lucky girl to have you for her mommy!