Thursday, September 25

What is it about Fall that makes you want to get creative and make stuff? To nest? I say fall, I guess it's officially Fall but geez it's still a little hot outside. I am having a hard time concentrating at work today because I can think of about 20 other things I'd rather be doing. A few, for example:

1. Try my grandmother's pumpkin bread recipe on my fridge.

2. Knit and or crochet. (I'm not sure of the exact difference, I know, I have a lot to learn) for a couple of reasons: 1) I think knitting seems less intimidating than my sewing machine. There are TONS of books on knitting at Border's. I just looked at them on my lunch hour. I want to make scarves, hats, socks, toys, blankets, anything. 2) Yesterday at my grandmother's house I found a vintage crocheted bag (soon to be my purse, oh yes, Jenny, Amy, be jealous) with some of my great grandmother Ruby's yarn and started crocheted pieces. It is very precious. I want to make use of the yarn she never used up and keep this skill in our family.

3. I need a bumper sticker that says "I'd rather be garage sale-ing" (you know, for items for potential projects or decorations, you never know what you'll find, it's the element of surprise that's so intoxicating!)

4. Work on Wilder and Gwyn's Halloween costumes. Two words: baby tutu. Can't wait, must find tulle. Currently trying to find inspiration for Wilder.

In other news...Gwyn is walking! She says "baby" and "bye bye"
There isn't much Wilder doesn't say now. He is getting more stubborn every day. He is wonderfully everything a two year old boy should be.

5 comments:

jessica said...

I've been wanting to make a tutu too for Jennah. Maybe we could get together and make them?

Tasha said...

I've never thought of nesting in the fall, but yes, that is precisely what I'm yearning to do. Thanks for putting a name on it ;)

We should learn to knit together. Maybe we could find someone to do a little teaching demonstration for us, one Saturday afternoon...know anyone?

Also, thanks for writing about garage sale-ing. I totally forgot that I was going to write a blog, and include photos, of my Pyrex finds. I did some research online, the other night, and I'm totally addicted. Did you notice the Pyrex Love blogsite, on my list to the right? Lol. We should go GS-ing soon!

How exciting that you are making Wilder and Gwyn's costumes. That is so sweet and admirable. I love your spark of creativity...you inspire me!

I always get on this comment page and have a need to go back to the blog to see if there was anything else I wanted to comment on.

Dear Blogger.com, you should totally allow posting of comments on the same page as the post...for that very reason. Sincerely, Tasha.

Lunch Fridays tomorrow?

hwall said...

My friend Natasha showed me these beautiful baby blankets she knitted and said she would teach me how. Maybe she can teach us all? We can go to that yarn/coffee shop in the Pearl District and be her attentive little pupils. My cousin taught me how to knit coasters a couple of years ago, but that was all I ever figured out how to knit. So I kept making coaster after coaster after coaster until I got sick of them, and now I can't even remember how to do those.

Unknown said...

Just want to tell you that crocheting is much easier than knitting, mainly because when you make a mistake, it's easier to take out and re-do. It's a great cold weather hobby and I'd be glad to get you started. I'll even teach you the knitting basics if you want to be brave.

Dayna said...

I received a basket full of knitting goods last Christmas. I have made:

A handy little "coaster" to place my mobile on when it's charging.
A work - in - progress scarf, that I started Dec. 26th, 2007. It is now over 1 ft. long. My goal is to have it long enough to at least wrap around once.
By Dec 26th, 2008.

Crocheting drove me nuts because I couldn't keep track of how many loops I had made. I became a bit obsessive with it. The knitting needles keep me on track.

fairiesanddragonflies.com has some great inspiration for costumes, especially tutus. Really cute ones that have leaves floating between two layers of tulle.