Thursday, April 9

After the Rain

Yesterday I went to work knowing I would have the evening to myself. Wilder and Gwyn would be with Blake's parents for the night and Blake was working late at a track meet. Lynda laughed when I told her I wanted to choose wisely how I would spend my time. Actually, I had a plan in my mind in the morning but thought maybe I should pray about it. "What would you have me do this evening Lord?" About mid morning I remembered a desire that I've had for a while to spend some quality time with my grandmother Bernice, just talking, alone, without the babies. Family history is so interesting to me. I've been wanting to learn more or be reminded of things I've forgotten. We had talked about meeting to look at photo albums. I knew immediately that I needed to take this opportunity. For reasons unspoken today was an emotional day for me. As I left work this evening a storm had just passed through and the sun was peeking through. Driving, I saw the most beautiful rainbow. I can't help but be overcome with awe and wonder, are rainbows really a sign of God's promise? His everlasting love? How amazing that He thought to give us this tangible sign...forever. I immediately felt comfort and peace. When I arrived at my grandmother's house she met me at the door to show me a dove that had made a nest on her porch in one of her plants. Doves have always been special to me as a spiritual icon. I think their shape is so beautiful and have often put them in my artwork. Funny that a dove would feel comfortable enough to make a nest approximately 5 feet away from a place where people come and go. Both of my grandmother's homes are two of the most peacefull places I know so can't really blame her. It was a dove that Noah sent out from the arc so maybe doves are just meant to be near people? I took it as a sign of God's presence and assurance. I thought, I just saw a rainbow and a dove within 10 minutes of each other. Coincidence? Nah. Is there a theme from Genesis I need to apply here? RegardIess, I felt like God was saying to me...this is what it's like when you walk closely with me. I will show you things. I will help you make decisions that are life giving. I feel loved.

Well, needles to say, my time with my grandmother was sweet and enriching. These are a few highlights:
-I have a steel bracelet that I wear often. I had thought that my grandfather made it. Wrong, it was my great grandfather Blase. He made it in the 40's working in the shipyards in California during WW2. I love it now more than ever.
-My great, great grandmother died during childbirth. Leaving my great grandmother the oldest of 4 children at age 9. She endured, married a good man (Blase) and had 3 children of her own.
-Looking at my grandmother's gradeschool photos I saw a glimpse of Gwyneth in one of her expressions. I love it.
-I am thankful for the stubborn women in my family. I don't think we would be where we are now without it.

I am so looking forward to having the same opportunity with my other grandparents as this is only half of the story! Seeing how past generations have endured and overcome is motivating to find the same admirable qualities and strengths within myself. I am thankful for the faith and endurance of past and present generations. What a rich heritage we have.

It was dark when I was leaving. As I was walking to my car my grandmother walked near the nest to see if she was still there. We didn't see her at first. We must have spooked her because she shot out of there and almost flew into my head! We took the opportunity to get a close up look at her nest. So perfect and beautiful. And one perfect little egg. Just in time for Easter.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

What a fun evening! I've sat with Grandma before looking at her black and white photos and found the stories so interesing. One of great grandma Ruby's brothers looked like Abe Lincoln! It was amazing how much Papa looked like him too. Glad you had the opportunity. See you Saturday?

Unknown said...

What a beautiful way to spend an evening. You are richly blessed.

Holly Wall said...

This is a very beautiful, very inspiring post. Thank you!

Tasha said...

I'm so glad you blogged about this. Quality time, with someone special, is priceless. And even better with all of the wonderful things that came along.

Beautiful.
Love,
T.