Monday, April 6

Thought Potpourri

BOOKS
I don't think I can read a book without feeling compelled to share it with the blogosphere. I just finished Walking with God by John Eldredge. Thank you Lord for the gift of writing and putting authors in our life that really speak to us. That said, I thought it would be fun to list a few writers and books I love:

Julia Cameron, The Artists Way http://www.theartistsway.com/
Madeleine L'Engle, Walking on Water http://www.madeleinelengle.com/books/walkingonwater.htm
Barbara Kingslover, The Poisonwood Bible, Animal Trees & Bean Trees, Animal Vegetable Mineral http://www.kingsolver.com/
and now...John Eldredge, Wild at Heart and Walking with God. http://www.ransomedheart.com/

I have been consumed by this book. For two reasons it's relevance and second because it was over due to the library. I finished it yesterday and will need to read it again. The book is about Eldrege's journey towards conversational intimacy with God. It encompasses A LOT.

I don't know if I've ever truly been in this specific place of intimacy - consistently. I am so thankful that God is stirring this desire in me right now. I'm trying to slow down. Literally and mentally. I'm trying to clear my head of everything else so I can hear. I'm trying to denounce all of those unknowing agreements I make with the enemy on any given day that get in the way of hearing. I am craving this intimacy right now and I'm afraid this feeling won't last. I want it to be real. It's exciting!

I don't want to go on about the details of this book here on the blog but I'd love to talk about it in more detail if anyone is interested.

WELCOME AMANDA!
My sister-in-law Amanda started a blog called The Newlywed Show! Show her some love:
http://thealmys.blogspot.com/

RANDOM DOMESTICS:
Cocoa powder in Malt-o-Meal is incredibly delicious. No need to buy the chocolate variety off the shelf. This way your husband can have the plain version and you and the kids can have hot, chocolate, nutritional goodness.

I got my hair cut a few weeks ago and the gal suggested I take the vitamin Biotin. It's for hair and nail support. Apparently my hair has payed the price of having two babies back to back and breastfeeding. Biotin is supposed to make it thicker and grow faster. Thought it was a good tip. It's only $3 at Wal-Mart. Luscious locks here I come!

I love my shark. My steam mop that is. I can clean the floors with the kids running around and not worry about getting water or cleaner everywhere. It's dry, no chemicals, it's green - reusable cloth pads. Everything about it is a win. It even works on the stickiest messes. I highly recommend it! This reminds me, Wilder has a new fascination with licking things. Included: the table at Qdoba this weekend, Gwyneth, the bathtub, and yes, the floor. (part of my motivation for getting the Shark out last night)

Yikes, I'm saying kids instead of babies more and more these days. Are they really growing up?

BEEF
This past Sunday was the first Sunday our congregation met in the newly remodeled auditorium. Complete with fresh carpet, pews, and paint. There were a lot of empty seats. It seems the numbers have dwindled over time as we've been meeting in the old, crowded, lack of technology, hard seats auditorium. I spoke with my mother-in-law about it this morning and she had also noticed the decline. When she asked our preacher about it he said apparently people have stopped coming because they didn't like meeting in the old auditorium. Yesterday, back in our "new" old seats I sat behind some ladies that I couldn't help to hear their complaints. "the heat is still not working," and "is there no screen for the projector?" "i heard the new pews were kinda hard" Really? Come on people! Is this really where your heart is? Is this really how your worship is defined?

10 comments:

Starr said...

I feel your frustration about the complaint thing. Jonathan is on staff at a church...I think he's learned to stop telling me about the ridiculous phone calls/emails/letters the church gets listing the many shortcomings of the building on those on staff. I hold grudges. :-) Ugh. Gives me tired head. But - God loves them! And I'm certainly not beyond the point of complaining about stupid things myself. :)

Shelly Collins said...

You're right Starr, I'm not either!

Tasha said...

I know how you feel about feeling the need to share books. I just finished 'True Colors', and I have to say it was one of my most favorite fiction books, ever. It was definitely an emotional one, and one that I was totally immersed in. I'm glad you found some that you're able to positively apply to your life! Isn't it amazing how simply reading someone elses take on something can bring it all home for you?? Glad you're in a good place.

I've been thinking of taking Biotin lately, too. Maybe I'll go ahead and start that. I like your hair, but I can't wait to see what lusciousness is coming your way ;)

Ahhh, the Shark. I WANT ONE!

Sorry you had some beef, but I'm glad you're venting. Amazing what good that can do for you sometimes.

Here's to a great week. Playdate/dinner date/AI watch party date? It would have to be after babysitting, though. Which is around 2:45.

Peace out...
T. Bone

P.S. How was Twilight? Are you, like, totally in love?

Gena said...

Amen girl. Worshiping God is about so much more than that. Drives me CRAZY!!!
I may have to go pick up some Biotin. Seriously, my post-traumatized hair needs some help.

hwall said...

Thanks for the post! I'm going to put a lot of these books on my reading list. Right now I am getting in to Dave Ramsey and LOVING it. Great seeing you Saturday. Wish we could have talked more. Maybe this week?

Dayna said...

Cocoa pwder or hot cocoa powder? Hot cocoa mix in malt - o - meal spread on toast - that was my favorite growing up. Now I've just bypassed the m.o.m and just put nutella on my multi grain bread. Kind of defeats the purpose of eating that healthy bread, but since the nutella is located with the peanut butter and jellies, as opposed to the candy aisle, it's not bad for you, right? Location, location, location. And balance of course.

Anonymous said...

As a church secretary I hear it all and I get frustrated with the focus of some people. But like you and Starr, I catch myself doing the same thing sometimes. I can control myself, but not others.

Are you reading the Twilight series? Jennifer got me hooked and I got Grandma hooked. It is kinda embarassing telling others what it is about but it is so good. I read Stephanie Meyers other book, I think it is "Aliens." It is geared toward adults. I enjoyed it, too!

Good seeing you Sunday.

Aunt Janet

Shelly Collins said...

Janet, I just watched the movie this week and would like to eventually read the books!

Holly Wall said...

Darn! I have plans Thursday night! Some other time, I hope.

Dayna said...

I'm off this friday if you don't have plans; if not then, any day AFTER April 18th would be great.