Monday, January 5

Family


We made it home this evening from Blake's grandfather's funeral in Ada. There really is so much to say. I don't think I have the energy to put it all into words! Simply stated, I feel really proud to have known Wilder Willard "Toby" Collins. (cool name huh?). And to be part of his family. He really did live vigorously and was respected and loved for so many reasons. A "man's man" as the minister said today as he talked about his life: one of 13 siblings, star athelete - played football for TU the Greenbay Packers, served in the Army, married a great woman for 59 years and had 5 children, was a great dancer, loved fishing and hunting, worked hard, loved his children well. My sweetest memory of him is the day Wilder was born. Toby and Evelyn came to the hospital and it was in the room as I was holding Wilder that we told him we had given Wilder his name. He had tears in his eyes. I feel honored that Wilder carries his namesake and pray that he will grow into equal the man!

Also, my baby brother left for the Army National Guard today. I am excited, proud, and a little scared. He will be gone for 4 months for training. I can't wait to see the transformation when he comes back. I'm hoping and praying that his involvement will be all positive and no surprises. Here he is with Gwyn on Christmas, cute.

10 comments:

Starr said...

Is that your little brother??? Wow. Time flies.

hwall said...

I love the way you describe Blake's grandpa. He sounds like a really amazing man, someone everyone should know. Sorry to hear about his passing. And good luck to your brother. Maybe you can give me some advice for when mine ships out!

Dayna said...

I can't believe that's your little brother! I guess they grow up too.

Tasha said...

What an interesting man for your son to be named after, and what a nice tribute to him.

Best wishes to your brother in his new endeavor.

Maybe things will finally slow down for you??

Can't wait for Lunch Friday!

Tasha said...

Candy joke...

My long-time friend, Sarah, is my complete opposite. In every area of life.

One day, we were on the phone. Miles jumped on my foot and wanted to sing 'ride that pony, go to town, ride that pony, don't fall down!'. So, I'm singing, and she's all 'that is NOT how it goes!'. She explains that the correct version is 'ride that pony, go to town, get that baby some CANDY!'. My reply was (since her babies do eat candy, and WHATEVER else) that 'of course your version involves candy-eating infants'.

Now, all I can sing to Miles is the 'get that baby some candy' version.

Probably funnier if told in person, but there you have it.

Can't wait for tomorrow. And, I'm glad to have an old-lady equivalent as a friend. I love all of your grandma stuff! ;)

Unknown said...

Another version (of course I'm from a family of GIRLS): Ride a little pony, go to town, get little "________" a wedding gown. When she comes back, don't fall down. That's what I sing to Lauren, but with Jacob I had to change "wedding gown" to "circus clown."

Shelly Collins said...

Funny Lita, I have never even heard this song, and what a cute version. Where have I been? Guess I'll have to start singing it to my kiddos!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry about Blake's grandfather passing away. I hadn't heard. Thanks for sharing the story about him. Nice to know about Wilder's namesake.

Maybe you were to young to remember "Ride a little horsey" but I sang it to all my children and now my grandchildren and you and Dennis, too! It's a clasic.

Aunt Janet

Dayna said...

So, I've been messing around with my blog and didn't see where my comments were being dumped (Ok - so they were right in front of my face the whole time - and I never even noticed). My apologies. We do need to do lunch - I'll email you my cell #. And running - yes! I do need a running buddy that doesn't have Boston Marathon aspirations. I'd like to shoot for Route 66 next November.

Tasha said...

Thanks for the play date today! I had a really nice time chatting with you, and Miles obviously enjoyed himself. I love how well M & W played together. I wish that Gwyn had had more fun...she is precious.

I hope you're recouping. It's not easy having all of that commotion going on at your own house. I feel like I left you with a mess. I hope it wasn't too bad.

I miss your posts! I know it's been hectic, with holidays and all, and I know you have a busy weekend, but I enjoy reading them ;) so as soon as you're ready to post something new...I'm waiting. Lol.

T.