Wednesday, February 11

Pop-Tarts and a little time for reflection

Wow, Lost was pretty good tonight right? It pulled through in the end, maybe we're getting somewhere. I fell victim to all the food commercials and convinced myself that I was hungry again. So I'm eating a blueberry Pop-Tart at 9pm. Those 10 (ha!) crunches I got in during Lost - gone. worthless. It's Blake's doing, he picked them out at the store, I don't think I could willingly buy them but man, they're good! (so thanks Blake)

Today was another day spent observing in Owasso. I'm coming to terms with the reality of what kids are like today. Very few of them can follow directions easily. They don't listen, lots are disrespectful and lazy. Not all of them, but at least half of what I've seen. It takes a LOT of energy to stay on top of students and demand good behavior. It ain't gonna be easy folks! In so many cases teachers are the only moral compass (a friend's quote not mine) kids have. I've observed one teacher that is more successful at it than the other so I feel like I'm getting a good example of how to keep control of my classroom. Anyway, I was talking to a teacher today that is close to retiring about this reality and we both agreed that so much of what kids are today is because their lack of quality home life. I think it's so true. Parents are everything! She said kids these days try to cram so much in one day and are going from one thing to the next so quickly that they don't know how to slow down and listen and focus! Lots of them probably don't have any one-on-one time with their parents which doesn't help with listening skills. Parents are busy and tired when they get home from work so whatever is convenient to pass the time works, they're too tired to interact. Or kids come from split families whose parents don't want to discipline because they want to be the nice parent.

It could be easy to become too disheartened by all of this, but like I said, there are plenty of good ones too. There are some who are sincere and give whatever project we're working on an earnest effort. (thank goodness, as I hug all of them) I feel motivated to be intentional about instilling in our own kids a desire to learn. I hope they find the joy in learning and achieving. I hope they're thoughtful and respectful. Even more, I hope they're not bullied, rather respected, because they are these things.

Next, my grandmother sent me this. I thought it was good enough to share. I thought it was very sobering. Let's just say I needed it this week in more ways than one. I haven't been quite myself and need to get my focus back. I'm not usually a fan of posting things like this but felt motivated.

Rick Warren (REMEMBER HE WROTE 'PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE')
also he did the debate with McCain and Obama. You will enjoy the new insights that Rick Warren has, with his wife now having cancer and him having 'wealth' from the book sales. This is an absolutely incredible short interview with Rick Warren,

In the interview by Paul Bradshaw with Rick Warren, Rick said:
People ask me, What is the purpose of life? And I respond: In a nutshell,life is preparation for eternity. We were not made to last forever, and God wants us to be with Him in Heaven.

One day my heart is going to stop, and that will be the end of my body--but not the end of me.

I may live 60 to 100 years on earth, but I am going to spend trillions of years in eternity. This is the warm-up act - the dress rehearsal. God wants us to practice on earth what we will do forever in eternity.

We were made by God and for God, and until you figure that out, life isn't going to make sense. [ this is my favorite part ]

Life is a series of problems: Either you are in one now, you're just coming out of one, or you're getting ready to go into another one.

The reason for this is that God is more interested in your character than your comfort. God is more interested in making your life holy than He is in making your life happy.

We can be reasonably happy here on earth, but that's not the goal of life. The goal is to grow in character, in Christ likeness.

This past year has been the greatest year of my life but also the toughest, with my wife, Kay, getting cancer.

I used to think that life was hills and valleys - you go through a dark time, then you go to the mountaintop, back and forth. I don't believe that anymore.

Rather than life being hills and valleys, I believe that it's kind of like two rails on a railroad track, and at all times you have something good and something bad in your life.

No matter how good things are in your life, there is always something bad that needs to be worked on.

And no matter how bad things are in your life, there is always something good you can thank God for.

You can focus on your purposes, or you can focus on your problems.

If you focus on your problems, you're going into self-centeredness,'which is my problem, my issues, my pain.' But one of the easiest ways to get rid of pain is to get your focus off yourself and onto God and others.

We discovered quickly that in spite of the prayers of hundreds of thousands of people, God was not going to heal Kay or make it easy for her.

It has been very difficult for her, and yet God has strengthened her character, given her a ministry of helping other people, given her a testimony, drawn her closer to Him and to people.

You have to learn to deal with both the good and the bad of life.

5 comments:

Dayna said...

Mmm, Pop Tarts. Better than my chocolate cream pie attack last night! But, I did go to a pump class earlier in the evening, so it's all good. It's all about balance.

I'm working on that thought for a new title . . . things you've created, are creating, work in progress . . . "Little Masterpieces" . . . hmmm . . . still thinking.

Shelly Collins said...

Oh man, those are good ideas too...I really like "works in progress"

Yes, that's the motto I live by - balance!

Holly Wall said...

Works in Progress is just about perfect.

Unknown said...

What age are the kids you're observing? By the way, I love the new photo at the top of your blog. Gwynny's gonna be ambidextrous, eh?

Shelly Collins said...

Lita, 7th graders! I need to get some time in the elementary classroom too, just to see the difference.